Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Josiah's Birth Story

Pin It Now! As a photographer, I am eagerly awaiting THREE of my friends, whose little babies are due...literally, any day now.  I feel like I am the official newborn photographer for all of my friends having babies, and I LOVE it. Having just wrapped up one newborn session last week and anxiously awaiting the three that are to come, I have been having feelings of nostalgia of my own birth story, from my first son, Josiah. Now I'm sure, as everyone says, baby boy #2 will have his very own and unique story, but I felt the need to share my (currently) only birth story with you all.

The date: August 22nd, 2011
The time: 6:45 am

I have just woken up to get ready for work and my water has just broken. I feel like the next few moments are a blur...all I can remember was a feeling of excitement (and slight terror), as I wake my husband up to tell him that "it's" happening. I took the 'normal' next steps for any first timer...I called my doula (which, by the way....I highly recommend as something to look into. But I will get into that on a later post) who asked me a variety of questions and began calming me down - because let's face it; a woman whose water has just broken and is ablout to have a baby for the first time, can be a little panic stricken. She prayed with me and encouraged me to try a few things to get my contractions started, since they haven't started on their own at this point.

So my husband and I got dressed and decided to take a hike up and down our driveway a few times...if you've ever been to my house, you would understand the insane feat this is for a normal person, nevermind a woman who is in labor. After about 3 trips up and down our road (with no signs of any contractions) I called my doula again. She encouraged me to try to relax, as often times contractions will start and can progress the more relaxed you are. Well, "what better way to relax than to take a nap?" I say to myself. Ha! That was a joke to even attempt. My mind was racing with so many thoughts and wondering if every little thing I felt was a contraction. (Little did I know that when I actually had one...I would KNOW it and not have to wonder).

After a few hours of no progression, we decided it would be best to head to the Midwife's office to have her check things out. Once we arrived I did receive a bit of a slap on the wrist for not contacting her sooner, but once she found out that my tests for group B strep were negative, she wasn't as mad. Oops. Pointer for you ladies who test positive...do. not. wait. If your water breaks, go to your doctor or hospital immediately!

My Midwife then gave me an additional 2 hours to go and do whatever we needed to, to get those contractions started before she induced me that evening. This terrified me. I had read story after story about women being induced and not being able to handle the pain, that they succumb to the epidural (even though they vowed not to get one). This was my one big "issue". I was bound and determined to have a natural birth with no epidural, so naturally I had some anxiety.  My midwife gave me until 5pm...I decided to head over to the local Greenway and run laps for the next few hours. Yes, I said run laps. I had lots of strange (and some scared) looks, but I was bound and determined to get those contractions started! Sadly...this produced nothing. So at 4:45 we headed to the hospital and by 5:00 they had me hooked up to Pitocin to get my contractions started.

Let me just preface this by stating that my birth plan did NOT include being induced...for fear (a really big fear) of the pain. I always heard that Pit increases the pain of your contractions immensley and I most certainly did not want to go back on my "No Epidural" birth plan. In fact I didn't even want that horrible word metioned in my birthing room.

Thankfully I was given a "mobile IV and fetal monitor" that allowed me to walk around and do pretty much whatever I needed to during labor. My contractions started out nice and slow...with the pain only increasing gradually. I found a ton of comfort walking the hospital halls with Daniel and my doula (we will call her M for this scenario to make it easier on us all). Each time I experienced a contraction, Daniel was there to hold me up, to help me breathe through each one and encourage me. M would help in the same way.

Finally, I believe around 4 or 5 cm, the pain began to increase exponentially and I felt like I needed the privacy of my birthing room. The continued to increase my Pit  - at one point a nurse came in to ask about my pain level and when I told her, she began mentioning the "E" word...the word that shall not be spoken...the word I did not want to hear. I looked to M, because this nurse would NOT stop talking about it. M kindly reached over and told the nurse that it was my desire to this naturally but if I happened to change my mind, I (me and only me) would let them know. The nurse got the hint and the word was never mentioned again (at least not in my presence).

Then I hit 7 cm...my contractions came hard and fast. Every minute. Literally. No more than 60 seconds rest in between. I was not progressing, and I thought I was going to hit the ceiling. I have never felt pain like this before. And I felt the urge to push. Nope. Not an option at this point. My midwife became concerned and (ok - I really don't remember this part, so I have to take M and Daniel's word on this) pulled Daniel and M out of the room to talk. She said she didn't think I would have the energy to continue and she encouraged them to try to urge me to get an epidural.
Both having full knowledge of my desire and strong opposition of getting an epidural (for strictly personal reasons), agreed they would let me continue until I asked for it. I am so thankful they did! Don't get me wrong, there were moments I looked into my husbands eyes and the word was on the tip of my tongue...almost begging to "give me the drugs!" But he was so supportive and so encouraging, I just knew I could do it.

At around 8 cm, they gave me a drug called fentanyl. This drug had zero affect on the baby and absolutely ZERO affect on the pain. It was strictly used to help me try to relax in between the fast coming contractions. And it worked! I can remember vividly almost being able to fall asleep between the contractions. And guess what?! All that business about being relaxed helping you progress...so true. I went from 8 to ready to push in no time.

*sidenote* I had my favorite artist, Josh Wilson, playing on repeat the entire time...and when the time came to push, this one song, Before the Morning, came on. Listen to it. It was definitely from God...at the perfect time that I needed it.

When the time came, I was so ready and surprisingly, energized. I focused on my midwife, listened to everything she told me to do and pushed my sweet boy out in 30 minutes. I feel like the shortened pushing time was a gift from God, after having spent the last 12 hours in the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life.

Josiah was born at 5:44 am on August 23, 2011.




Would I do it again? Just like it was? You bet. Every contraction, every ouce of pain I felt was totally worth it. I have learned to love another human being like never before. I cannot describe the love a parent has for their child. It's unexplainable and awesome. I have a handsome, intelligent, sweet boy - whom I would give my life to protect. Yes...my labor was painful - but to be surrounded by an amazing husband, my amazing doula and friend, M, the wonderful staff at the hospital and most of all, God's promise in John 16:21 "21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world" helped me through the most painful, scary, beautiful and joyous moment in my life.
 






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Just Beautiful! I love birth stories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gal! I can't wait to hear yours when I come to take pictures of that beautiful baby girl! :)

      Delete