Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pin It Now!

Girls Weekend!

This past weekend, I got the chance to spend some quality time with one of my absolute BEST friends!  We are both mama's of some pretty amazing boys and felt that, even though we love them with all of our heart...we needed a quick little get away.

So what better way than a girls weekend?!  I must say, that although our trip away from our boys and husbands was quick, it was packed full of good times. 

What prompted this girls weekend?  Josh Wilson, of course!  (you may remember in a previous post I mentioned a song of his that came at a monumental moment in the birth room)

So we packed our bags and headed down the mountain.  Our first stop, once we got to Winston -Salem, was at my old stomping grounds, The Village Tavern, in Reynolda Village.  If you've never been, you must go.  Seriously.  Walking through the restaurant doors brought back some pretty good memories of my days as a waitress there.  And who should greet us as we walked in but a very dear lady, Miss Sherrie!  When I first started there, about 14 years ago (can that be right!? I was 17, so I guess so...) Sherrie was the one who took me under her wing.  So I was, of course, ecstatic when she was the first face I saw!

                                              (so glad I got a pic with this sweet lady!)
 
 
CJ and I began to peruse the menu...although I knew immediately what I wanted.  Over the past 2 nights I had dreamt of their Spring Rolls and so my decision was made.  CJ ended up getting the yummy Greek Salad.  Which I appreciated, because she gave me all of her kalamata olives...just one of the many reasons our friendship works out so well, haha!
 
 
 
 


These are just two of the amazing items on their vast menu.  (I am in no way getting any compensation for this rave review...I just think it's that amazing)

Before we headed out, I had to document the moment with my best... so far, a GREAT start to what can only be described as a great weekend!

 
We get back on the road to my parents house to visit for just a few minutes.  We didn't have too much time before we needed to get to Greensboro in time to grab some dinner before the concert.  We visit then hop back on 40E...ugh...if you've ever traveled 40, you know and can probably relate to my hatred for it.  Upon arrival into Greensboro, we decide to quickly locate PF Changs for dinner.  I have never been so I was very excited to give it a whirl.  I mean after all, I have heard some pretty amazing things about it from everyone I know who has ever eaten there.  Alas...there was almost an hour wait by the time we got there and we really didn't have time for that!  Josh Wilson was a-waitin'!
 
So we settled for the next-best-thing-only-because-it-was-the-only-decent-restaurant-within-five-miles, Mimi's Cafe.  Honestly, I have eaten there before - a long time ago...but something in me was craving some yummy Chinese food.  I blame "Jethro". 
 
*side note* To my readers who don't know who Jethro is...that is the nickname my husband and I have given baby boy #2.  I don't think he's ready to commit to the name we have picked out just yet. ;)
 
Anyway...back to Mimi's.  We started out with some A-MA-ZING stuffed mushrooms.  I have no words for how delicious they were, except to say that had they given us more than 6...they would have been gone in 2.5 seconds! 
 
 
Since we both had our hearts set on Chinese food, we ended up ordering the only Asian inspired entree on the menu - Sweet and Sour Chicken.  I will admit it was pretty tasty...but I'm still super bummed I didn't get to experience PF Changs. Next time...oh yes, there WILL be a next time!
 
 
Are you guys tired of all of this food talk?  Yeah, me neither.  ;)  But I must digress because it's time to go to the highlight of our evening... We arrived at the Greensboro Coliseum about 30 minutes prior to the start of the concert and we were a bit surprised to find ourselves not in the main arena, but in a much smaller room, where car and jewelry shows are apparently held.  I felt like we were at an underground concert, actually, and it was kind of cool that there weren't SO many people.  Don't get me wrong, the room they had us in was packed full of people...all ready to listen to some great music and worship our Lord and Savior.
 
We had floor seating, which I am usually not a huge fan of, but it was nice.  With me being "with child" I found myself having to sit. A LOT.  And the floor seats were cushioned....so no complaints form this mama!  And we surprisingly had a descent view of the stage.  I will say the only part I struggled with was the sweet couple behind us.  They were enjoying the concert so much that the gentleman felt compelled to give a high pitch whistle every few minutes...it hurt our ears so bad, but bless his heart, he was having such a great time I couldn't bring myself to ask him to stop making my ears bleed.  And his dear, sweet wife...or girlfriend...or whatever she was, was enjoying herself so much that she laughed.  A LOT.  At EVERYTHING.  Not one of those sweet girly laughs, but a very hearty laugh that brings me back to my fondness of elementary school when chalkboards were actually used and kids would scrape their finger nails on them just to get a rise out of their classmates.  Again, I could feel her extreme happiness and didn't want to reign on her parade and inform her that her constant "joyful" laugh made me want to find the nearest cliff to jump off.
 
Again....I digress. 
 
I'm so glad I had the chance to spend this weekend with my best.  Regardless of the whistling and laughter as described above, it was so amazing being in such a place with so many different types of people....all worshiping our ONE savior, Jesus Christ.  I sat in amazement, watching people of all ages, races and backgrounds, lifting their hands to the Heavens, praising the Lord.  At one point in the night, I noticed a little curly red-headed girl...couldn't have been more than 3 years old.  She was perched on her grandpa's shoulders, free as a bird, arms waving around, using her grandpa's head as a drum, having such a great time.  Watching it, one couldn't help but smile. I wish I had gotten a picture or video of that to share.  Sorry I failed you in that department.  Here are a few pictures of the night...
 


 
We ended up leaving during the encore...just so we didn't have to sit in traffic as we left the coliseum.  But we had such a great time... LOVED Josh Wilson, Colton Dixon did and amazing job and was thrilled to finally see Third Day in concert, after having grown up listening to their music for the past 20 years!
 
The next morning I had the pleasure of taking newborn pictures for another great friend (that's 3 newborn's I have gotten to snuggle in the month of April...be jealous).  If you want to see pictures of all of the sweet newborns  (Eva's will be up soon!)  you will have to check out my facebook page.
 
A quick little plug for my business...if you like my work, I would love for you to "like" my facebook page and tell your friends and family to do the same.  Once I reach 500 likes, I'll be giving away a FREE photo session to ONE lucky winner!!
 
Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our fun Girls Weekend!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. This was such an awesome weekend and I am so thankful that I got to spend it with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete