Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Family Vacay

Pin It Now!
Wow...it's been a while since I've written something...or even had time to write something.  Not great, I know.  I'm hoping to get better if and when I become an official SAHM.  I will use this time to catch you up on the life that is our family. 

We recently got back from a glorious, week long vacation to the beach with a few members of my side of the family.  I will be more specific...we went to Hatteras Island.  Waves, NC to be exact, and it. was. glorious! (get ready for picture overload...you have been warned)


Just having some quality family time with not only my family, but "my two best guys", was so needed.  It had been a while since the Whitson family took some time to get away, so that's exactly what we did!  J-man had some issues with the ocean... so different from last year, when he would let Daniel hold him close to the waves, for them to splash in his face.  He would laugh so hard! But this year...well, this year was a bit different.  He was so aprehensive about the water, he wouldn't get any closer than he had to.


Yep, that's my boy...he was holding on to Daniel's hair for dear life!  I almost feel bad about taking this shot instead of trying to comfort him.  Almost
But it's ok...it's what I do.  My camera is like an extra appendage for me - especially when I'm vacationing with the fam!  It's a good thing too, or else I wouldn't have caught this super, sweet moment between daddy and J-man.
 
Now that's more like it.  Let daddy hide the big, scary ocean from view and all is right with the world.  I live for these moments.
 
While we were on Hatteras, we took advantage of what the island had to offer (and the fact that we had a plethora of adults just waiting and willing to watch our little one so we could do so, was pretty freaking amazing).  Thanks again, family!
Me, the hubs, my niece and her boyfriend, decided to visit Hatteras Lighthouse.  Both Daniel and I love lighthouses and neither of us had ever seen Hatteras before.  So...when in Rome!
 
 
View at the entrance to Hatteras...
 

View at the top.  That's right folks.  Me and my 7 month preggo belly hauled ourselves to the top of the tallest brick lightouse in the USA.  All 286 steps of that bad boy.  Granted I couldn't walk for the rest of the trip, but it was totally worth it!
 
 
My niece didn't quite feel the same. ;)  But I'm proud of her for facing her fears. 
 
  
The view from the inside, looking down.  A bit daunting, I will admit.  It looks way cooler in person - if you've never been, I highly suggest you make a point to go.
 
 
The hubs and I spent a lot of family time on the beach with our little guy...he loved playing in the sand, demolishing the sand castles that daddy would build, running after random dogs that passed by, and flying his first kite!
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
He liked Uncle Mark's kites!
 
 
The hubs and I even got a nice evening out by our onesies! We headed into Nags Head, NC to find some delicious seafood.  We highly suggest you try Kelly's if you find yourself in the area...great service and A-Mazing food!  This preggo mama was craving some crab legs... and what mama wants, mama gets!  ( I should have taken a picture of them, because they were divine! )  Regardless....we had a nice night out and for once it was great not to feel rushed to get back to put little man to bed.  I did, however, manage to snag this little gem on our night out.  Look out, Blackbeard!
 
 
 We did have a rainy day while we were at the beach and decided it would be the perfect day to visit one of the NC Aquariums, so we headed over to Nags Head, NC with my folks.  
 
 
 
 
 
We THINK he had a good time.  He spent about 90% of his time just running around the place like a little mad man!  I was lucky to get the shots I did, haha! (sorry J-man kept us all on the run, mom and dad! Maybe next time we can all actually look at and enjoy the sea life in detail with him)
 
We had a few more fun family moments and on the last day of our trip, Daniel and I decided to leave the boy in the capable hands of my family, and treck over to Ocracoke Island to do a little more touristing.  Is that a word?  Oh well, it is now. We hopped on the 45 minute ferry (4Runner and all) to begin our adventure for the day.
 
*sigh* I love this bearded fellow...
 
We ate a tasty lunch at Howard's Pub and Raw Bar, then headed over to the Ocracoke Lighthouse...another that neither of us had seen.  Now we can check it off the list!  I think we determined that we have now seen all of the lighthouses on the NC coast - sweet!
 

 
After (a little too much, in my opinion) walking around, and visiting some of the cute local shops, we decided to head back to the ferry, back to Hatteras Island.  As beautiful as the weather was on Ocracoke, the storm was rolling in on Hatteras.  Oh joy.  On our way back to the island, it got a little chilly, so we opted to sit back and relax in the 4Runner for the trip back.
 
 
The weather still looked nice as we were leaving...until I got a text from my parents asking if we were getting hit with the storm like they were.  Nope, not yet.  It wasn't until we were a few miles from the shore that we could see the storm clouds.
 
 
They looked more daunting in person...I promise.

 

All in all, we had a great time!  I had some quality time with my boys, my parents, and my sister and her family...life is good.  Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.  I will leave you with one final gem of a picture.  My brother-in-law thought it would be funny to show our bellies...
 
 
...and I guess by my expression, it was! ;)
 
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read about our "boring" family vacation!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


 
 

 
                                                                   
  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment